The SOS Career Service provides all of the essential services our clients need to achieve their professional goals.
Professional Resume and Cover Letter Writing
At SOS Career Service, we offer the utmost in high standards in creating persuasive resumes and cover letters that help our clients obtain jobs. Your resume will be written from scratch by one of our career coaches . Your resume will concentrate on your marketable achievements, not simply your responsibilities in prior jobs. We will help you find a better job faster.
There is a science to resume writing and we are experts. A typical hiring manager spends only 60 seconds reading a resume (no joke). Thus, your resume needs to be concise, skim-able, and easy to read. We have clear rules and guidelines for our resume writers in order to ensure quality.
These guidelines include:
- Only producing 1 page resumes
- Utilizing Times New Roman or Calibri font because it has been shown in scientific studies to be the most legible font for most people
- Using 11 or 12 point font
- Studies have shown people don’t read paragraphs but they do read bullet points. Hence, our resumes incorporate bullet points instead of paragraphs.
- The name of the company, your position, and job description are more important than the dates of your employment. Consequently, our resumes focus on the former by putting them on the left side of the resume, bolded, in bullets, or italicized for emphasis.
- We divide our resumes into sections separated by lines to ensure that the hiring manager can easily find important information.
- All final version resumes are reviewed by 2 resume writers before being sent out for quality control purposes.
- We do not include more than 4 jobs or 7 years of work experience on a resume (it makes the client look like he or she jumps from one job to another) unless it is absolutely essential.
- Do not include high school education on resume unless you are under 20 years old and have not attended college
This is the worst job market in recent memory and our clients expect us to give them a competitive edge with a great resume.
Job Interview Coaching
SOS Career Service Interview Coaching
How Interview Coaching Works
1-on-1 Job Interview Coaching is designed to help you prepare for a job interview. Our career coaches will advise you how to:
- Prepare for a job interview
- Respond to tough questions
- Wear suitable attire for the interview
- Show that you have the qualifications and talents required for the specific job
- Overcome nervousness and social anxiety
- Turn weaknesses into strengths
- And Much More!
Our suggestions will be customized for your background and the position you are applying for.
Prior to your job interview preparation meeting, you should:
Send us your resume and the description of the job you are applying for.
Prepare answers to the eight most commonly asked interview questions:
- Walk me through your resume. [Suggestion: Give a 2–3 minute personal pitch]
- Why are you leaving your current or last job?
- What is your biggest strength?
- What is your biggest weakness?
- Why are you interested in our company and this position?
- What is your greatest achievement?
- How do you address conflict in the workplace?
- Do you have questions for me? [Suggestion: Have 5-10 well-researched questions for your interviewer]
You can also bring up any concerns about your resume, background, and the interview process.
Vijay Ingam, the founder of SOS Career Service, gives Resume Workshops to organizations in California. Resume Workshops are designed to ensure that participants are prepared for the difficult job market. Past seminars have been given to UCLA student organizations, Americorps volunteers, and Los Angeles area college internship programs.
A Resume Workshop covers the following subjects:
- Cover letters
- Job interviews
Resume Workshops include a PowerPoint presentation and workshop exercises designed to aid participants in developing career skills. The organization, length, and activities in a resume workshop can be adapted to meet the needs of your organization.
Resume Workshop participants are expected to bring their resumes, cover letters, and questions about the career process. Audience participation is encouraged and prizes are given to participants who correctly answer questions.
We can provide references from past resume workshop participants to show how helpful our past seminars have been.
Resume workshops are billed at hourly rates including transportation time.